A growing body of medical research has uncovered the properties and benefits of medical cannabis. Today, with cannabis and cannabis products legalized for medical use in 33 states and the District of Columbia, patients are able to find relief from the symptoms of myriad health conditions. One of the active chemical compounds found in medical cannabis, cannabidiol or “CBD”, has been shown in clinical trials to have powerful effects.
But CBD isn’t only good for helping to manage the symptoms of chronic illnesses; it can also be used for everyday health and wellness. In this guide, we’ll explore some of the benefits CBD has in promoting wellness.
CBD: A Brief Introduction
Of the hundreds of chemical compounds found in cannabis, two of a class of chemicals called cannabinoids have received particular scrutiny by the medical research community. The first is tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC. This psychoactive chemical produces the characteristic “high” – euphoric sensations – that can serve to alleviate symptoms of certain health conditions. CBD, on the other hand, is not psychoactive and does not interfere with active lifestyles. CBD has been shown in numerous clinical studies to have anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving effects, and that has made it a safer alternative in treating symptoms than prescription painkillers and similar medications.
Cannabinoids are chemically similar to substances naturally produced by the human body in the endocannabinoid system. This system is responsible for regulating several important metabolic and cognitive processes, including the transmission of electrical signals between nerve endings and the brain. CBD binds to receptors in the endocannabinoid system, helping to restore any imbalances this system might be experiencing. This binding effect can also be beneficial in treating illness symptoms.
CBD is extracted from medical cannabis or industrial hemp plant material using carefully-controlled processes. In its concentrated form, it can be found in a wide range of products, including topical creams, oral tinctures, vaping cartridges, and edibles.
Everyday CBD Uses
CBD is a great choice when it comes to managing the symptoms of health conditions like chronic pain, injuries, arthritis, and so much more. It may come as a surprise, then, that CBD oils and CBD-rich products can also be used as part of an everyday wellness regimen.
Some of the most popular everyday uses include:
- Managing anxiety – In our lives, we may experience stress in our work and in our relationships. Anxiety is the result of high stress levels. In several studies, CBD has been shown to help reduce the sensations of anxiety, allowing the user to relax. Chronic anxiety may also lead to interruptions in sleep patterns, such as insomnia. Here, CBD’s calming effect helps to promote healthy, restorative rest.
- Improving mental focus and clarity – In people with attention deficit disorders like ADHD, cannabidiol (CBD) has been shown to help the mind focus. Even for people without an attention disorder, a busy day can lead to jumbled thoughts. CBD’s benefits in this arena are well known, and it is an ideal way to help improve focus and clarity.
- Promoting healthy hair and skin – CBD’s anti-inflammatory properties are great in helping to reduce redness and irritation in the skin of the hands, face, and body. Topical creams containing CBD are readily available; these creams use a base of coconut oil, emu oil, other essential oils, or occasionally shea butter to moisturize the skin as it heals blemishes. CBD is also an effective antioxidant compound, which reduces the free radicals that can lead to premature aging and wrinkling of the skin. In fact, CBD may be even more effective as an anti-aging method than vitamins C and E. When massaged into the scalp, CBD creams can support stronger, thicker, more lustrous hair. Certain CBD creams may also help to maintain hair color. And, these products are so gentle that it can be used every day for a radiant, youthful appearance.
- Improving digestion and reducing nausea – CBD has been demonstrated to stimulate the appetite while curtailing the unpleasant effects of nausea. For those with digestive upsets, or patients experiencing the side effects of certain cancer treatments, CBD’s effects can be incredibly beneficial. For everyday use, oral tinctures or CBD edibles are a convenient way to support healthy digestive function.
- Reducing pain – CBD is well-known and relatively well studied regarding its ability to fight chronic pain. Topical CBD oils and creams can be used to treat everyday injuries, such as skin abrasions, burns, or wherever soreness manifests itself. CBD also helps to reduce inflammation associated with bug bites and stings – just gently rub the topical cream on the affected area for fast relief.
It is clear that medical cannabis and its chemical properties provide safe, effective benefits for many health conditions. Whether it is chronic pain, a serious illness, or an everyday treatment, CBD oils and creams are a great way to help support health and wellness in the human body.